Valid Documents

To legally sell number plates we must be provided with two types of documents.
1: Identification
2: Registration Entitlement

Acceptable documents:

Part 1: Identification

You can use the following to confirm your name and address:

  • Driving Licence (Photo-card or paper counterpart)

  • Utility bill, Telephone bill, Council Tax bill or rates bill from the last 6 months

  • Bank or building society statement from the last 6 months

  • National Identity Card

The following will confirm your name only:

  • passport (doesn’t have to be issued in the UK)

  • bank or building society debit or credit card

  • police warrant card

  • armed forces identity card

The ID document you provide does not need to match the entitlement document; this is because the laws permit buying number plates as a gift.

Part 2: Registration Entitlement

  • vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)

  • new keeper supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI)

  • certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number

  • retention document (V778)

  • a renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI)

  • temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)

  • a number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)

  • an electronic number plate authorisation certificate (eV948)

  • a letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate


If you require any more help with this information please do not hesitate to contact us via email